|Control, Board of|
NEVADA STATE BOARD OF CONTROL
The State Board of Control was created by the Nevada Legislature on March 30, 1933. Section 6974 of Nevada Compiled Laws, 1931-1941 defined the Board and its functions. This Board superseded the Board of Capitol Commissioners.
The Board of Control consisted of the Governor, Secretary of State, State Controller, State Treasurer, and the State Surveyor-General. The Governor served as the chair and his private secretary served as the clerk of the Board. The Board had supervision over and control of the state capitol building, capitol grounds and waterworks, state printing office building, and all other state buildings, grounds, and properties.
The function of the Board was to control the expenditure of all appropriations for furnishing, repairing and maintaining those buildings and grounds, for deferring all contingent expenses of all properties, for transporting books and documents, and for storage and transportation of state property. No office could expend more than $50.00 without authorization from the Board; however, this part of the act did not apply to the University, Mental Hospital, State Prison, Orphans’ Home, Nevada School of Industry, State Highway Department, or State Printing Plant.
The Board was authorized to hire help to care for state buildings and grounds. The legislation authorized certain improvements to be made to state buildings and grounds and specified how they would be financed, through bonds and an ad valorem tax on four mills ($0.004) on each $100 of taxable property in the state.
The 1949 Legislature created the State Department of Buildings and Grounds which assumed the functions of the Board of Control. The Board was officially abolished by the Legislature of 1951.
RECORDS 1932-1945 .5 cu. ft.
Minutes 1934-1939 14 folders
Correspondence 1932-1939 8 folders
Employment 1933-1939 1 folder
Legal 1934-1939 1 folder