|Nevada Territory : Legislative Assembly of Nevada Territory|
The Nevada Territorial Legislature was created by the Organic Act. This Act, signed by President James Buchanan, became effective March 2, 1861 (U.S. Statutes at Large, 1863, v. 12, pp. 209-214), and provided that the legislative assembly of the Territory of Nevada would consist of two houses, the Council and the House of Representatives. The Council consisted of nine members but could be increased to thirteen, and the House consisted of thirteen members but could be increased to twenty-six. The Legislature was further established by the Laws of the Territory of Nevada, 1861, chapter 89, sections 4 and 5, which provided that members of the legislative assembly would be chosen by the qualified electors of their respective districts, at the general election, as by law provided, for the year 1863, and that Council members would hold their terms of office for two years while Representatives would hold their terms of office for one year. All legislation had to be approved by Congress.