LOCAL LITERACY SITES
1. Nevada Literacy Coalition - The first site to go to for events, statistics, and resources for literacy in Nevada. Check out the section on State of Nevada Statistics and links to state and national literacy sites.
2. Nevada Literacy - http://www.literacynet.org/nevada/ - This site provides information on Nevada's ABE, GED, and Adult High School programs as well as links to resources for managers/administrators, teachers/tutors, and students/learners in these programs.
3. Truckee Meadows Literate Community Project - http://www.washoe.lib.nv.us/literacy/
This site has links to local service providers and a profile of literacy in Washoe County.
1. The Adult Education Teacher's Annotated Webliography - http://www2.wgbh.org/MBCWEIS/resources20.htm
Find a collection of over 50 Internet sites for adult education and ESL teachers.
2. Beyond Basic Skills - http://www.coe.uga.edu/adulted/staffdev/bbs.html
Instructional plans and strategies for adult literacy, ABE, GED, and ESL programs from the University of Georgia. Each issue is full text in PDF format and includes such topics as credit, work, and television viewing. Each newsletter includes discussion topics and activities.
3. New York Times on the Web Learning Network - http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/NIE/index.html
Get a daily lesson plan with activities, objectives, and vocabulary to use with the New York Times on the Web.
4. Dave's ESL Café - http://www.eslcafe.com/
A good site for ESL/EFL literacy activities from around the world. Find fun activities in the "Idea Cookbook", "Idioms", and "Discussion Forums".
5. English as a Second Language - http://www.rong-chang.com/
This site is a starting point for ESL learners who want to learn English on the Web. Provides links to listening, reading, writing, grammar, quizzes, and more.
6. Learning to Read - http://www.aability.com/rindex.html Visit this site to get reading materials, a list of the 200 most common words found in reading, and information on phonics and dyslexia.
7. PBS LiteracyLink - http://www.pbs.org/literacy
PBS LiteracyLink provides access to lessons in reading, writing, communication and math in a workplace context. Contains sections for teachers and students.
NATIONAL LITERACY SITES
1. ProLiteracy Worldwide - http://www.proliteracy.org
A nonprofit educational corporation dedicated to helping adults to improve reading, writing, math, and problem-solving skills. A merger of Laubach Literacy and Literacy Volunteers of America (LVA).
2. National Assessment for Adult Literacy 2002 - http://nces.ed.gov/naal/
A representative sample of adults will be assessed in 2002 to provide data for the nation's progress in adult literacy. The National Survey for Adult Literacy was last done in 1992.
3. National Center for Family Literacy - http://www.famlit.org/
A nonprofit organization supporting family literacy. Find up-to-date articles on family literacy.
4. National Institute for Literacy - http://www.nifl.gov
This independent federal organization is working toward making the U.S. a fully literate nation in the 21st Century. NIFL provides a gateway to LINCS, adult education and literacy resources on the web.
1. Adult Literacy Estimates - http://www.casas.org/lit/litcode/Search.cfm
Provides 1990 data for state, county, county subdivision, Congressional District, city or town.
2. Census Bureau - http://www.census.gov
2000 Census population data for Nevada has just been released. Educational attainment for cities and counties will not be released until June - September 2002.