|Nevada State Prison Inmate Case Files
Nevada State Prison Gas Chamber
Prior to January 1, 1912 the law prescribed hanging as the means of carrying out the death sentence in the State of Nevada, however, upon revision of the statutes in 1911 the condemned were allowed a choice between the gallows and the firing squad. This remained the law until March 28, 1921 when an amendment was adopted providing for execution by means of lethal gas. Nevada was the first state to sanction the use of the gas chamber.
The first execution by use of lethal gas took place in February 1924 and has been used as the means of carrying out the death sentence a total of thirty-one times. The last execution was held October 22, 1979.
32 EXECUTED BY GAS
In the Nevada State Prison
1. Gee Jon, convicted of killing Tom Quong Kee. Executed, February 8, 1924. Age twenty-eight.
2. Stanko Jukich, convicted of killing of Jennie Medak. Executed, April 6, 1925. Age twenty-nine.
3. Robert H. White, convicted of killing of Louis Laval. Executed, June 2, 1930. Age forty-one.
4. Luis Ceja, convicted of killing Charlie Fong. Executed, September 4, 1931. Age twenty-eight.
5. John Hall, convicted of killing John O'Brien. Executed, November 28, 1932. Age fifty-two.
6. Ray Elmer Miller, convicted of murdering his estranged wife. Executed, May 8, 1933. Age thirty-four.
7. Joseph Behiter, convicted of killing Sylvia Reither. Executed, July 13, 1934. Age thirty-four.
8. Luther Jones, convicted of killing four men after a hold-up. Executed, January 26, 1937. Age thirty-three.
9. Domenico Nadal, convicted of killing Joe Urrutia. Executed, January 17, 1939. Age forty-seven.
10. Burton Franklin Williamson, convicted of killing his wife, Mrs. Pauline Williamson. Executed, November 21, 1939. Age forty-three.
11. Wilson Henry Boyd, convicted of killing Floyd Robinson and his wife. Executed, May 28, 1940.
12. John A. Kramer, convicted of killing Frances Collins. Executed, August 28, 1942. Age sixty-four.
13. Floyd L. McKinney, convicted of killing Lieutenant and Mrs. Raymond Fisher. Executed, November 27, 1943. Age thirty-four.
14. Raymond Plunkett, convicted of killing his infant son. Executed, June 30, 1944. Age thirty-one.
15. Floyd Loveless, convicted of killing a policeman. Executed, September 29, 1944. Age seventeen.
16. Albert Everette Sala, convicted of an Elko County murder. Executed, August 23, 1946. Age thirty-five.
17. Paul Maynard Skaug, convicted of killing Mrs. Marie Voss. Executed, January 10, 1947. Age twenty-six.
18. David Blackwell, convicted of killing two Reno police officers. Executed, April 22, 1949. Age nineteen.
19. Laszlo Varga, convicted for the rape-slaying of Mrs. Rev. Morning. Executed, June 7, 1949. Age twenty-four.
20. Eugene Leo Gambetta, convicted of killing his former wife. Executed, October 18, 1949. Age forty-six.
21. James Williams, convicted of killing a fellow worker. Executed, August 25, 1950. Age thirty-two.
22. Theodore William Gregory, convicted of killing his estranged wife. Executed, January 29, 1951. Age forty-six.
23. Owen Caudle Butner, convicted of killing his former wife. Executed, February 10, 1951. Age thirty-six.
24. Gregorio Arellano, convicted of killing a high school girl. Executed, July 24, 1951.
25. Domingo Echaverria, convicted of killing nurse Elizabeth Catlett. Executed, April 13, 1953. Age sixty-two.
26. Clayton Octave Fouquette, convicted of killing Donald Brown. Executed, April 13, 1953. Age forty-one.
27. Ferdinand A. Bourdlais, convicted of killing Ward Budzien Sr. Executed, April 23, 1954. Age twenty-seven.
28-29. Frank A. Pedrini and Leroy L. Linden, convicted of killing Clarence Dodd. Executed, July 15, 1954. (Only double execution using lethal gas.)
30. Earl Lewis Steward, convicted of killing Thomas Jessen. Executed, February 24, 1960. Age forty-two.
31. Thayne H. Archibald, convicted of killing Albert Waters. Executed, August 21, 1961. Age twenty-two.
32. Jesse Walter Bishop, convicted of killing David Ballard. Executed, October 22, 1979. Age forty-six.