Nevada Real Estate Board/
Real Estate Division
The Nevada State Real Estate Board was established by the Legislature in 1923. This board consisted of three members appointed by the Governor. Board members were required to have five years experience as a real estate broker or real estate salesman. The board was required to meet three times a year plus a special meeting could be called by the president of the board. By this act all real estate brokers and salesman were required to obtain a license from the Real Estate Board; fees from the licenses funded the Board. The original fee for a broker's license was $25 a year and the fee for a salesman's license was $15 a year. The Board was given authority to establish reasonable rules and regulations and to hold hearings when a license application was refused. The Board could investigate written complaints against brokers and salesman and had the power to suspend or revoke licenses after hearings before the Board. The Real Estate Board was directed to publish twice yearly a list of all the names and addresses of state licensees. This act only applied to incorporated cities with a population of 2,500 or more.
In 1931 the Real Estate Board was given supervisory powers over subdivided land. The Board could investigate subdivided lands that were for sale and make its investigation public. Developers were required to notify the Board of all subdivisions, with costs of the investigation paid for by the developer.
In 1947 the Legislature repealed the 1923 Real Estate Act and passed a new law to regulate real estate in Nevada. This act increased the Nevada State Real Estate Board to five members with the State Controller as the ex-officio president of the Board. The appointed members of the Board had to be engaged in the real estate business in Nevada for three years previous to the appointment. The act required that two members of the Board be from the northern district of Nevada and two members be from the southern district. It called for four regular meetings a year and allowed for special meetings called by the president of the Board. This legislation only affected incorporated cities or unincorporated towns with a population of 3,000 or more.
In 1949 the Nevada State Real Estate Board was renamed the Nevada Real Estate Commission and the Legislature specified that the principal office of the Commission be in Carson City, with meetings allowed to be held in other Nevada cities. All fees and charges received by the Commission were deposited in a Nevada Real Estate Commission fund and an executive secretary was allowed, although there was not enough money to hire the secretary until 1955. Publication of the list of licensee names was reduced to once a year instead of twice a year. Four years later the Real Estate Commission's representative districts were changed from northern and southern to eastern and western.
In 1963 the Department of Commerce was established by the Legislature and one of the divisions included in this Department was the Real Estate Division. The Division Administrator was appointed by the Governor but this act eliminated the position of executive secretary. The Real Estate Commission was turned into a Real Estate Advisory Commission made up of five members that served in an advisory capacity to the Real Estate Division. It also promulgated rules and regulations, approved or disapproved applications for licenses, and conducted hearings.
In 1973 the statue regulating subdivisions was amended to state that no subdivision consisting of land situated in the State of Nevada could be advertised or offered for sale within or outside the State of Nevada until such advertising and offering was approved by the Real Estate Division. In 1981 the Real Estate Advisory Commission became the Real Estate Commission, still with five members but no longer allowed to approve or disapprove license applications. This act allowed the Commission to delegate its powers to the Administrator of the Real Estate Division and required the Commission to hold at least two meetings a year, with one of these meetings being held in the southern part of the state and one of the meetings held in the northern part of the state. This act also mandated that every applicant for a license pursuant to this law be fingerprinted.
In 1983 the Real Estate Division was given authority to promulgate rules and regulations regarding time share projects. It accepted applications for time shares projects and held hearings over denied applications. Two years later the Real Estate Division was given authority over the sale of campgrounds and authorized to promulgate rules and regulations related to the operations of campgrounds.
In 1989 a Commission of Appraisers of Real Estate was established by the Legislature with its five members appointed by the Governor. This commission was assigned to the Real Estate Division of the Department of Commerce and allowed to license appraisers in the state. In 1993 the Department of Commerce was renamed the Department of Business and Industry and the Real Estate Division was placed within this Department.
In 1995 the Real Estate's Division principal office was no longer required to be in Carson City. The law stated that the main office could be in either a city in the southern district or one in the northern district. It also called for a branch office in the opposite end of the state from principal office. Two years later another responsibility was added to the duties of the Real Estate Division as it was required to regulate and certify inspectors of structures. The Division receives applications, holds disciplinary proceedings, and rules on complaints about inspectors.
In 2003 the Legislature established the Commission for Common-Interest Communities and placed it under the Real Estate Division. It was made up of five commission members appointed by the Governor and regulated home owners associations.
Records 1930-2000 3 cubic feet
The records of the Real Estate Division located at the Nevada State Archives include meeting material of the various boards and commissions in the history of the Real Estate Division from 1930 to 1988; deputy Attorney General records of the Real Estate Division which include activity reports, legislation files, rules and regulations, and legal opinions from 1971 to 1982; and course records involving real estate continuing education and pre-licensing courses for real estate brokers and salesman, 1992 to 2000.